Called a love letter to her fans…Oprah leaves us with highlighting these wonderful lessons. All of these are from the final Oprah Winfrey Show…and I’ve taken these notes…her direct words…to have a reference and to be reminded of what I can be…and of the teacher who gave me the lessons. Thank you Oprah.
- You are not alone.
Finding your Calling…your Passion…
- We all are called. Everybody has a calling and your real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it.
- We saw the joy and the juice for (these people) doing what they are meant to be doing…Because that is what a calling is. It lights you up and it lets you know that you are exactly where you are suppose to be and doing exactly what you are suppose to be doing. and that is what i want for all of you.
- Live from the heart of yourself.
- What sparks the light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world?
Finding your own platform…your own voice…
- Each one of you has your own platform. Do not let the trappings here fool you. Mine is a stage and a studio. Yours is where ever you are with your own reach…however small, however large that reach is…maybe it’s 20 people, 30 people, 40 people, your family, your friends, your neighbors, your classmates, your classroom, your co-workers…where ever you are, that is your platform, your stage, your circle of influence…that is your talk show and that is where your power lies.
- In every way and every day, you are showing people exactly who you are. You are letting your life speak for you…and when you do that, you will receive in direct proportion to how you give…
- You can help somebody, you can listen, you can forgive, you can heal – you have the power to change somebody’s life. The power is the same. Everybody has a calling. Mine aligned with my profession, my job, but not everybody gets paid for it…but everybody is called. It may be your skill at listening…your talent for nurturing and mothering…Do not get it confused. Your calling – does not have to be something that makes you famous…
- You carry whatever your suppose to be doing and don’t waste any more time. Start embracing the light that is calling you and use your life to serve the world.
Common Connections, Energy and Intention
- When you know better you do better. Nobody but you is responsible for your life. It doesn’t matter what your mama did or what your daddy didn’t do. YOU are responsible for your life.
- YOU are responsible for the energy that you create for yourself and that you bring to others.
- “Please take responsibility for the energy that you bring into this space.” Dr. Jill Taylor
- All life is energy and we are transmitting it at every moment…and the world is responding in kind.
- Newtons 3rd Law of Motion – For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That is the abiding law that I live by, articulated to perfection by Ms. Celie in The Color Purple… “Everything you done to me, already done to you” (from The Color Purple by Alice Walker) This is the golden rule to the 10th power…All the energy that you spend trying to hurt somebody else will turn around and slap you in the face. The same thing is true of love. What I know is is that the energy that I put out everyday with the best of intentions…has come back to me from all of you in full force.
- You are responsible for your life and when you get that everything changes. Don’t wait for anyone else to fix you, to save you or complete you. No one completes you. When you get that you are responsible for your life, you get free.
The Power of Worthiness and Validation
- There is a common thread that runs through all of our pain and suffering – unworthiness. Not feeling worthy enough to own the life that you were created for.
- There is a difference between thinking you deserve to be happy and knowing you are worthy of being happy. …We often block our own blessings because we don’t feel inherently good enough, or smart enough or pretty enough or worthy enough. What this show has taught me…is that your worthy because you are born and because you are here.
- Your being here your being alive makes worthiness your birthright. You alone are enough.
- People all want validation. Every single person that you ever will meet shares that common desire. They want to know – Do you see me? Do you hear me? and Does what I say mean anything to you?
- Understanding that one principle that everyone wants to be heard has allowed me to hold the microphone for you all all these years with the least amount of judgment…it has helped me to stand and to try to do that with an open mind and an open heart. It has worked for this platform and I guarantee you, it will work for yours. Try it with the people in your life. Validate them… I see you, I hear you and what you say matters to me.
God Whispers…Are you listening?
- I know that I’ve never been alone and that you haven’t either. and I know that that presence, that flow – some people call it grace – is working in my life in every single turn and yours too if you let it in. It’s closer than your breath and it is yours for the asking…
- I have felt the presence of God my whole life…even when I didn’t have a name for it I could feel the voice bigger than myself speaking to me and all of us have that same voice.
- Be still…and know it. You can acknowledge it or not. You can work with it or not. You can ignore it or you can know it. Know it. It’s always there, speaking to you and waiting for you to hear it. In every move and every decision, I wait and listen for the guidance that’s greater than my meager mind…the only time I’ve ever made mistakes is when I didn’t listen.
- So what I know is…God is love. And God is life. And your life is always speaking to you. First in whispers. And a whisper in your life feels like, “mmm, That’s odd…that doesn’t make no sense…or mmm…is that right? It’s subtle those whispers and if you don’t pay attention to the whispers, it gets louder and louder and louder. It’s like getting thumped up side the head. If you don’t pay attention to that, it’s like getting a brick up the side of the head. If you don’t pay attention to that, the whole brick wall falls down.
- What are the whispers in your life right now? What’s whispering and will you hear it? Your life is speaking to you…what is it saying?
Validation…make someone feel that they matter.
- You all have been a safe harbor for me for 25 years… and what I hope is that you all will be that safe harbor for someone else…there safe place to fall. Do for them what you have always told me that I have done for you – connect, embrace, liberate, love somebody – just one person. And then, spread that to two…then to ask many as you can… you will see the difference it makes.
- Make some feel that they matter.
Keeping in touch
- Oprah@Oprah.com – my personal email…when you get something, it will be from me directly…I want you to know that what you have to say matters to me….I understand the manifestation of grace and God. I know that there are no coincidences…there are none. Only divine order here…but I am truly amazed that I, who started out in rural Mississippi in 1954 when the visions for a black girl was limited to a maid or a teacher in a segregated school end up here is no coincidence that a lonely little girl who felt not a lot of love even tho my parents and grandparents did the best they could…it is no coincidence that I grew up to feel the genuine kindness, affection, trust and validation from millions of you all over the world. From you, who’s names I will never know, I learned what love is. You and this show have been the great love of my life.
From the final Oprah Winfrey Show, I took these notes to remind myself of the person that I want to be…my best self in my best life. If you are reading them, I hope that they carry the same power and do the same for you and your life.