After months of waiting, OWN has brought us full circle this year with the debut of “The Ambush Cook” with Kristina Kuzmic, one of the winner’s of Oprah’s Your OWN Show competition. Remembering her passion for her passion, Kristina’s cooking show highlights her teaching skills as she takes novice cooks and teaches them some fantastic tricks and gets them into the kitchen. It’s a little like watching a private cooking session …with a little extra commentary. Energetic and entertaining, you will leave the lesson a little more hungry than you came to it…and maybe inspired to get into your OWN kitchen! While the name of the show might make you think she’s ambushing these unsuspecting souls, the truth is that she is really empowering them through a little tough love in the kitchen…and she’s still fearless! The Ambush Cook is a refreshing way to enjoy a cooking show…with a little bit of fun with the lessons.
Here are some of the best tips and lessons from the first 2 shows…
- Put the protein in the freezer for a couple minutes before slicing it. It will make cutting it up so much easier.
- Always remember…when you are using a knife, you want to use “your claw.”
- Don’t be afraid to use fresh ginger…no matter how scary it looks. Oh, and peel it first.
- Mongolian sauce is a simple 5 ingredient sauce…who knew?
- Dredge lightly in corn starch for a thicker sauce. It will thicken without changing the flavor.
- Marinade stuff (bruchetta in this case) for 30 to 60 minutes for optimal flavor…if you have time.
- Mocha Bread Pudding is next on my list to try…and should be on yours too! Looks SO yummy!
- You can coat any fish with any nut…but love yourself enough to buy the nuts already out of the shell.
- Sizzle tells you that the oil is hot enough. If the oil isn’t hot enough, the food will just taste too greasy/oily.
- Start on a lower heat to not burn the outside and to give the protein time to cook on the inside without getting the outside overcooked.
- Save your calories…because after you watch Kristina, you are going to want to go try out the recipes!
For the recipes, go to:
Episode 1 Recipes: “Take Out Mom” with Mongolian Beef and Fried Rice: http://www.oprah.com/own-ambushcook/blogs/Episode-1-Recipes-Take-Out-Mom
Episode 2 Recipes: Momma’s Boy with Pistachio Crusted Tilapia, Goat Cheese Bruschetta and Mocha Bread Pudding: http://www.oprah.com/own-ambushcook/blogs/Episode-2-Recipes-Mommas-Boy