Each Friday, we are taking a look back over the week and bringing you the “Top 5 Moments” of OWN programming each week. There were plenty of moments to pick from….so much good stuff and we did our best!
- “Oprah Builds a Network” (Behind the Scenes) – One thing OWN does really well is Behind the Scenes television. Don’t get us wrong…there are many quality shows, but viewers can’t get enough of going behind the curtain. The network knows they can’t put Oprah in front of the screen 24/7, but what they can do is build our love for others with more BTS programming. This may cause employees to freak out a bit, but OWN, you know this works! Take us inside O Magazine with assistants or tag along with Adam Glassman for shoots. Viewers love seeing people being creative in their field and you guys rock at this!
- “Our America with Lisa Ling”– Once again, Lisa Ling opened our eyes and broadened our world with her latest episode of “Holy Matrimony.” Typically we think about foreign countries when we talk about arranged marriages. With such diverse cultures within the states, it only makes sense that they are occurring every day in our own backyards. In a society that seems to be focused on lustful love, it was interesting to see couples with diverse traditions, priorities and goals. People marry for all sorts of reasons and it was interesting to see a different point of view.
- “Oprah Builds a Network” – The past couple of weeks, OWN tucked us in close with Oprah as she walked the halls of Barnard College, drove the streets of Lovetown USA and crouched down on the set of Jimmy Kimmel Live…a few of the moments that have this OWN journey so incredible for viewers and Oprah. Although she addressed the heaviness of the media’s barbs, she reminded us of what the journey was for and gave it a little perspective.
- “Oprah’s Next Chapter” with David Copperfield - Oprah’s interview with our generation’s greatest magician was fantastic. From the moment we arrived on one of his eleven islands, we were given an inside look into his life and his driving force. Our favorite moment occurred when he humbly explained his work. “My work is really a metaphor of the challenges that people have in their everyday lives. Magic, to me, is making dreams real. Making them feel real, making them look real and, you know, giving people hope. “ This totally changed the way we see magic in our lives.
- “Are You Normal, America?” – So they say that when you laugh, you lose weight. If so, then we are certain to be a few pounds lighter this week with the return of OWN’s only game show. It still amazes us what people are willing to reveal on the show!
Be Inspired! Share this with the world!
Are You Normal, America? is back! Sometimes you just need a show that takes you away from everything and gives you a chance to laugh a little. Well, a LOT! Be sure to tune in Saturday nights at 10/9c…only on OWN. Thanks to OWN, you can enjoy a few of the questions we all played along with. So…tell us, are you normal?
Have you ever dropped something in the toilet and went after it?
Be Inspired! Share this with the world!
Photo from OWN TV
In a search to grow into the network vision of bringing the audience shows they want to see, Oprah and team are opening up their bag of tricks with a new show, Are You Normal, America? From the creators of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, this show brings a sassy and smart new twist on today’s game show genre. With game show creator, Barry Poznick stepping in as the show’s host, his genuine excitement and charisma make him a natural choice for the stage. The show offers some lighthearted entertainment along with a few risky questions that just might make you blush. Be warned – some of the questions contain sexual innuendos or embarrassing situations and if you are watching with others and decide to play along, be warned that you just might end up with more information than you bargained for!
So here’s how the game works. Offering the contestants a chance to win over $100,000, a team of two contestants and strangers work together and are asked a series of crazy questions from people surveyed across America. Taking a little bit of Family Feud meets Smarter both contestants decide if the question falls to the normal side or not of everyday behavior. While the show loosely classifies “normal” as 50 percent of those surveyed, it’s really as scientific as when the Family Feud surveyed 100 people – it all depends on who you asked and it’s meant for fun and entertainment, not for a baseline for behavior.
While the 60 minutes passed with lots of laughter and fun, the vision became a little more clear for OWN and the network. As we’ve been asking for all along, Oprah and her team are promising to bring us entertainment, fun, and live your best life television. The game may be a little silly for a few, but the general result is the same. It opens up some crazy questions and conversations. It also leaves you laughing and smiling…happy to be normal or not…depending on the question. For its first premier episode, it had great energy from the start. Falling into its regular time slot, you can catch all new episodes of Are You Normal, America? each Monday night at 9/8c on OWN.
Be Inspired! Share this with the world!
As most network series take their regular summer break and leave us with final results or shocking cliffhangers to wait out over the long, hot months, OWN is bringing us some promising new shows that just may catch an audience and give the viewers what they are looking for – some Oprahesque programming along with some “Live your best life” fun and philosophy. With more than a handful of new shows and old favorites heading the lineup, the schedule is covering all their bases. Get your DVR ready! Here is a quick look at what’s coming and what to look for in the next couple of weeks and beyond. Make sure you watch and then, go to Oprah.com to let Oprah’s team know what you think about the new shows! Believe me…they are listening and your opinion counts! Grab some sunscreen, your favorite cold drink and the remote…here’s the OWN summer lineup!
- Iyanla, Fix My Life - A big official welcome to Iyanla Vanzant to the OWN family. As a regular teacher on Oprah’s Lifeclass series, Iyanla is taking over Harpo center stage to bring us a tell it like it is program that will move you, help you and inspire you to open up and live your best life. Let the teaching begin Ms. Vanzant. Like no one else can, Iyanla helps to open up your soul and get to the heart of the the pain. Only then can you move forward, stop the bleeding and fix your life. Sneak Peek – Saturday, June 2nd at 9/8c. Series premier -Starts this Fall, September 15th, just after the new season premier of an all new “Welcome to Sweetie Pies.” Tweet #FixMyLife
- Are You Normal, America? - From Oprah’s OWN producers comes a fun summer game show that may or may not have you relieved about being normal. Through juries of peers, by polling and simple man-on-the-street interviews, real life situations shot in the field and in-studio demonstrations, this show will take a look at odd behaviors and see just how common they may be in our society. Contestants, money and a little self-discovery along the way! Barry Poznick, a seasoned game show creator and producer, as well as actress and comedian, Kim Coles, will be hosting the show and YOU will be playing along. How can you not? You’ll be hooked…and don’t worry, THAT’S completely NORMAL! Sneak Peek – Sunday, June 3rd at 9/8c. Series premier, Monday June 4th at 9/8c! Tweet
- Lives on Fire! - Witness the journey of four different women who risk their lives daily to assist in California’s most dangerous disasters. These female firefighters respond to life and death situations; battle the intense heat…all in a predominately male profession. As their fight heats up against nature’s forces, they struggle to find the balance in work and home as mothers, daughter, wives, and girlfriends. Each of the women brings a little something different to the show and all will give us a little insight and understanding that while we may be very different, often times we see how similiar our lives really are. Join for this OWN Series premier Friday, June 8th at 10/9c! Tweet live with #LivesOnFire
- Million Dollar Neighborhood - This Canadian HIT is finally coming to the states. Show participants in a small town of Aldergrove, Canada, took part in a social economic experiment to increase their collective net worth by $1 million in just 10 weeks. A financial team gave families a challenge each week to help them increase their income, reduce their debts and overall improve their financial standing. Not only did they receive the tips they need to be successful, they also were given opportunities to win money. Now that the show is coming to the US, viewers will be able to watch and learn…possibly changing our own lives. Series premier Saturday June 9th at 9/8c! Tweet live #MDN
- Real Life – The Musical - Get ready to sing your heart out. OWN is bringing us a new reality series that help people add a little song and dance to their lives. For those who have a hard time finding the words, this new series allows people to say what they haven’t been able to…through song! Partnered with vocal coaches and choreographers, each week someone will get the chance to stage a live “flash musical” for someone they love. Friends and family lend a hand in their surprise performance…one that could change the lives of both the singer and the loved one. Get ready to sing, dance and be moved! Let the music play! Series premier Saturday June 9th at 10/9c! Tweet #RLTM
- Our America with Lisa Ling - Lisa Ling is back! Without question, this show has been a standout hit for OWN. Not only is Lisa Ling a hard-hitting reporter, her empathy takes viewers to a new level of discovery. Coming up this season, the show will feature in-depth stories on topics such as the Native American culture, living life as a nun, swingers and teen pregnancy. Go along with her on the journey and see how just being aware of the world around you can change so much. When you watch, you will be moved and you will be changed. Lisa Ling is amazing and Our America never disappoints. Series premier Sunday, June 10th at 10/9c! Tweet #OurAmerica
Along with all of these new and returning shows, keep an eye out for all new episodes of Oprah’s Lifeclass – Summer School, Oprah’s Next Chapter and Super Soul Sunday! In addition, here are a couple of new shows to watch for that are rumored to be coming later this summer…
- Super Saver Showdown - Get ready as this new show from OWN pits two bargain hunters against each other to see whose coupon clipping, super saving, and DIY skills are superior. In each of the episodes, two “Super Savers” will help families looking to create a party on a budget and share their savings tips with the families as they rush to pull off the party. At the end, they will be judged by host Kristan Cunningham on their savings and style, the best “Super Saver” wins $10,000. Game on! Sneak Peek and premier – July. Date not yet announced.
- Lovetown USA - OWN is making us fall in love…well, almost. This series will follow a pair of matchmakers (“Hitch,” Paul Carrick Brunson, and “love whisperer” Kailen Rosenberg with over 200 successful marriages to her name) and eight singles as they search for love in this “social experiment” that takes place in the small town of Kingsland,Georgia. For 30 days, they take up residence helping the locals find love in their own backyard. Sneak Peek and premier – August. Date not yet announced.
- Married to the Army: Alaska - This show sounds interesting. It’s an inside look at the lives of Army wives living in Alaska, facing their own fears and forging their own unique sisterhood with other wives that only they can understand. Tremendously strong and courageous in their own right, this real reality show may open our hearts and our world to what these military families offer for our country. Series premier – Not yet announced.
Be Inspired! Share this with the world!