Since the beginning of Dr. Berman on OWN, we’ve seen it go through some changes. Now, into the 2nd season, we’ve dropped the “In the Bedroom” lead in for the title and we’ve turned to a simple on the street and radio call in format. For the most part, this newer style works a little more. While it’s reminiscent of an Oprah radio show meets Howard Stern (only for the young sidekick and since the show is taped and aired on cable tv), it has it’s own flavor… As we settle in a little more, I’m a little suprised to say…it’s interesting. It’s like watching a radio call in talk show…oh…and on topics that would make most people blush. So, here are some of the topics from this week.
- With Social Networking…cheating and infidelity in the new generation of technology.
- With Infidelity – the primary factors that must be present in the decision of should I stay or should I go? – Both people in the relationship must be invested and willing to do the work and the ability to communicate and openness to receive the feedback.
- Rules for couples who use Social Networking
- Uncovering clues about your relationship. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
- The fantasy of ‘reforming the cheater’ because you are too lovable to be cheated on…it never works out. Cheaters are unavailable people.
- YOUR own values and how that impacts how you feel about your own sexuality
- Letting go of childhood messages about sex and redefining it as you get older…
Adding at the end the new segment “we disagree,” Dr. Berman still gets her face time with helping a couple via Skype settle a disagreement…usually of a sexual nature. This week it’s the old disagreement of “who should initiate sex.” It’s meant to be helpful…but sometimes almost looks painful for the Skypers. Brave brave souls…
Finally…we end with a little bite of research. Did you know that the biggest predictor of cheating is the level of confidence that you have about yourself? Apparently, people in positions of power tend to have more confidence…and that confidence is what makes them more likely to cheat. So…here’s to all those people with lower self esteem and lower confidence levels…some good news! Onto life…