Last Sunday night, OWN brought us an all new Oprah’s Lifeclass and lessons on letting go of guilt. As Iyanla Vanzant and Oprah sat on the cozy Harpo studios stage, it was reminiscent of The Oprah Winfrey Show. The crazy part…it was filmed one year to the date that Oprah filmed her last show for the legendary talk show series. Showing that the world always has a plan…and for this show, the plan for Oprah was to take her back home. As the studio filled with beautifully sparkling people and some familiar faces, the topic was heavy and the purpose of the show was to grow beyond that heavy heart and move past the hurt. If we can learn to heal our own souls, we will bring more joy to the world. Our Lifeclass lesson – to grow beyond guilt.
As guests opened their hearts of what punishes them and holds them under water, Iyanla Vanzant and Oprah gave us insight to help us all just let it go. Here are a few of the lessons that we made notes on to keep in mind when you are dealing with guilt.
- Guilt is a wasted emotion. It is unGodly. Take responsibility and make conscious choices to do better. - Iyanla
- Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to be ok. – Iylana
- Guilt is different from shame. Shame says there is something wrong with who I am; Guilt says there is something wrong with what I’ve done. – Lifeclass
- 3 Reasons people feel Guilty: You knew better, You caused hurt, harm, or danger, or You disappoint someone. – Lifeclass
- Take guilt as your cue to learn a lesson. Don’t carry the guilt. Carry the lesson and move forward in your life. – The Daily OWN
- Think of how much more open the world would be without judgement & without guilt.Now try to make that happen in your life. - The Daily OWN
For those who missed the show or only have a few minutes to take the lesson in bite size pieces, here are a few videos from OWN. Enjoy. Learn the lesson. And then, go out and live your best life without any guilt.
From Oprah’s Lifeclass: Iyanla Vanzant Reveals What Happens When You Argue Against Reality -Iyanla Vanzant shares words of wisdom from author Byron Katie with those who are grappling with guilt. Find out what happens if you argue against reality. Plus, Iyanla encourages viewers to take responsibility for how they respond to any given situation, including matters of the heart.
From Oprah’s Lifeclass: How Guilt Can Hold Us Hostage -Over the years, Oprah has talked to many men and women struggling with the same burden—guilt. Watch as she and relationship expert Iyanla Vanzant look back on lessons learned from divorced parents, working mothers, Dr. Phil and a famous actress who blamed herself for her mother’s death.
From Oprah’s Lifeclass: The 3 Reasons People Feel Guilty – Spiritual teacher Iyanla Vanzant says many people confuse guilt (a feeling that you’ve done something wrong) with shame (a sense that there’s something wrong with who you are). Find out why Iyanla says both sentiments are wasted emotions. Plus, discover the three main reasons people feel guilty.
From Oprah’s Lifeclass: Iyanla Vanzant Helps a Mother Let Go of Guilt and Accept Responsibility – Amy, a mother who drove drunk and critically injured her 5-year-old in a car crash, believes holding on to her guilt will prevent her from making the same mistake again. Watch as Iyanla Vanzant explains how letting go of guilt and taking responsibility can lead to healing. Plus, Iyanla helps Amy define ego—easing God out.