Some days when the wind blows just right I get that itch that millions of us get excited about. In fact when we looked at this week’s boot camp we both got excited. It doesn’t take much to bring a smile to our home. Either inspired by life or by the smallest piece of décor, many of us try to paint our stale living space with a fresh new look. However you don’t need a clean palette to give your home a lift. All you need is a little time and a few great ideas. Here are a couple of thoughts to get you started.
- Patterns – You don’t need to wallpaper a room or add a huge chair to add patterns into your life. Simply pick something like a lamp shade or throw pillows to give you that splash you are looking for!
- Comfort – Most of us spend way more than 8 hours of sleep in our beds. They have become a safe haven, a work station and so much more. A fast easy way to spruce up any bed…pillows! Find some fun shams and pillow cases in a variety of patterns and colors, sticking with a primary palette of course.
- Small rooms – If you have a space that is really small, try adding clear tables to give the illusion of an open, uncluttered space.
- Paint – For $20 you can literally transform a room. Often you can find small samples at Home Depot or even clearance gallons of paint. Play around and have fun! You are only a paint can away from fixing it if you need to.
- Shades – Are you looking to cover an oversized television or unsightly clutter? Attach a flat, neutral colored shade to the inside of a cabinet or bookcase and within moments the space can be transformed. By using a larger shade and attaching it to the ceiling allowing you to divide a larger space.
- Headboard – Looking for a quick headboard option that allows you the flexibility to mix it up? Paint a nice curtain rod with decorative finials and attach it over your bed. Then drape a quilt over it giving you a quick and easy backdrop.
- Color – Adding color to a room isn’t complicated. Find things you love and already have around your home and move them to a place in your home that will pop. Another trick is to take an old vase or decorative item and add a bright coat of paint. Pop it into a room and hold yourself back. You’ll be wanting to paint everything after that.
- Mirrors – Passion for your art work can come and go, but find a great mirror and you may find true love. If you position it just right in the room you can work the light and the view opening up the entire room.
- Vision Boards – By now many of us have created a vision board at least once. Instead, why not display items that inspire you and remind you of the dreams you want for you and your life.
- Flowers – One of the oldest and easiest design tricks is to add colorful, fresh flowers to your space. If you can, place them in a vase that will pop. It can make a beautiful display simply breathtaking. Everyone deserves flowers!
Don’t be afraid to mix it up and think out of the box. It doesn’t matter if your ideas wouldn’t grace the pages of a design magazine. The important thing is that YOU love it and it speaks to you and your life. Have fun!
Photo credit: Home Goods