We all recognize that things are changing in our world. Whether environmental, political or social, there has been a visible shift. We all need to be aware of it. The good news is that some of the shifts have been good ones, but not all of them. However, it isn’t too late to get our world back on track. In fact, if all of us do a little, the collective whole can make a HUGE impact.
Here are 10 simple ways that we all can have a positive impact on our world today.
- Pass along some inspiration. Take the time to find a book for someone in your life. Something they are interested in and would appreciate. This simple gesture may light up their life and hopefully encourage them to inspire someone else.
- Sound the trumpets. In a world focused on self-advancement, take some time to really notice the work of someone else. Then, let them shine by putting the light on them. It feels great when someone notices your work and then tells others about it. Be the light for someone today.
- Hand out smiles and compliments. It doesn’t cost a thing to smile or tell someone they are kind. It only takes a moment. In a society where people fight to the top, people often neglect compliments…as if they may jeopardize their own position. But the reality is that it takes nothing from you to give to another. If enough of us did this, imagine how much we could change our world.
- Start reducing your footprint. Any realistic person knows that we are hurting our environment. Do what you can to reduce your carbon footprint. If change is hard for you, start small and incorporate one new change a month. No one is asking you to run your car on raw vegetables. Start with unplugging small appliances like your toaster and coffeemaker when you aren’t using them OR bring your own totes to the grocery store so you don’t use their bags. Just pick something! You may be surprised…together we really can make a difference.
- Reach out. We all have busy lives, but everyone can find a way to give a little back. Start small if you need to. Pick one day a month and arrange to serve at a local humane society, soup kitchen or reading to people in the hospital. Service is one of the greatest feelings in the world. If you need something more spontaneous then gather the family and head to a local beach or park and pick up 20 pieces of litter. Just start where you can, because in truth…it all makes a difference.
- Be honest and eliminate hidden agendas. Don’t waste another moment trying to manipulate a situation to create the life you want. It is better to live in the truth. If honesty ends a relationship, then welcome the change. Change can be a good thing!
- Be a teacher. So often we hear that we should surround ourselves with the brightest minds, but by doing this we don’t allow others to reach for their full potential. So whereas I agree with keeping company with those who stimulate you, don’t forget to be that for others you meet along the way. Take the time to thoughtfully explain topics that you prefer to table because of the complexity. You may be surprised where the conversation leads…and that maybe you will learn something about yourself along the way.
- Buy local. When you have the chance, buy what you can from local companies. It just makes more sense to support a farmer from a few miles away than it does to buy something shipped from another country. It is hard to feel healthy about eating your food when you know your choices impact our world.
- Spend time with other generations. By taking time to spend with a grandparent or nephew, you open yourself up to a whole new experience. Different thoughts. Different perspectives. Now, don’t use this as an opportunity to lecture…use it as an opportunity to learn.
- Support positive programming. The Oprah Winfrey Network is leading the way into a new enlightenment phase in our culture. Reality shows and mindless television is so last decade. Now viewers have the chance to revolutionize the way we watch TV. By supporting programs that lift, inspire, teach and/or fill us up with love, laughter and hope, we are improving our world. Greatness comes from inspiration. Make a choice to turn off the negative noise and tune in to a better, positive world.
There are SO many things we all can do to make a change in our world. Trust me narrowing some down was virtually impossible. But this is a start. Leave a comment and let me know if you or your family is doing anything to make a change in this world. We love hearing from you.